Cherry Hand Pies
Use 1 package refrigerated pie dough.
- 3 cups cherries, pitted and halved
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Place the filling ingredients into a bowl and combine. Set aside and allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
Whisk the egg whites and water together.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together with a fork till smooth. Do this when pies are cooled and ready for drizzle.
- When filling is ready, cut twelve 4 inch circles from the dough, place a small amount of filling on each hand pie circle.
- Fold and pinch edges together creating mini turnovers.
- Brush each hand pie top with egg wash.
- Press sealed edges with back of a fork to seal completely, and cut 3 small slits on the top of each hand pie.
- Place pies on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
When pies are cooled completely drizzle icing over each hand pie and serve.